My husband and I were trying to decide where to squeeze in a mini vacation before the end of the year. We tossed around a few destinations in the South where it’s warmer. But, we have had plenty of warm weather here in DC throughout September and October and I’m over it. I want to experience Fall! I want changing leaf colors, crisp cool weather and I want to wear sweaters and scarves. We hadn’t been to Niagara Falls or Toronto in exactly 20 years! After a game of paper, rock, scissors—Niagara Falls won out over Charleston, Hilton Head and Savannah.
If you’re interested in taking the kids for a quick family vacation, a romantic weekend retreat or a mom’s getaway, Niagara Falls is a perfectly simple, beautiful and affordable destination to visit all year round.
The American side of the falls offers a plethora of affordable family friendly hotels while the Canadian side offers the most breathtaking views of the falls.
These are my favorite hotels on the American Side:
- Holiday Inn: 114 Buffalo Avenue, Niagara Falls NY. For business or pleasure, relaxation or entertainment, the Holiday Inn has everything you need for a memorable trip to see Niagara Falls. Just a five minute walk to the Seneca Niagara Casino, the mighty Falls, and a three minute drive to the Rainbow Bridge. Free high-speed internet, free parking, in-room coffee makers and fridges, indoor heated pool, brand new Sealy pillow-top beds.
- Four Points by Sheraton: 7001 Buffalo Avenue, Niagara Falls NY.Located on the banks of the Niagara River and only minutes from the Falls, this newly renovated hotel features river view rooms and Bella Visa Ristorante, serving breakfast, lunch and dinner and offering waterfront dining.
- Barton Hill Hotel & Spa: 100 Center Street, Lewiston NY. Located in the quaint Village of Lewiston, the Barton Hill Hotel & Spa combines the charm and comfort of a historic country inn with the service and amenities of a luxury boutique hotel. This hotel and spa is only minutes from the Niagara Falls State Park and includes luxurious accommodations and exceptional personal service in a serene location. The Barton Hill Hotel & Spa overlooks the lower Niagara River and is perfect for a romantic getaway or a business retreat.
The absolute BEST way to get the complete Niagara Falls Attraction Experience is by purchasing the Discovery Pass. It covers all of the world class attractions! It covers:
- The Maid of the Mist® -Aptly named, this one-of-a-kind boat journey embarks from the base of the Observation Tower at Prospect Point for a round-trip adventure into the frothing waters beneath the American and Horseshoe Falls.
- Cave of the Winds- Explore beneath the American Falls, navigating your way across the catwalks to the famous Hurricane Deck. Those rain ponchos you see aren’t optional-you’ll be surrounded by the thundering power of water pounding down nearly two hundred feet above.
- Niagara Legends of Adventure Theater - Witness Niagara Falls’ incredible stories and history that would otherwise take a lifetime to experience. Discover the thundering falls from a completely new and exhilarating perspective, and plunge over them with history’s daredevils. Located on the Lower Level of the Visitor Center. No individual reservations accepted.
- Niagara Gorge Discovery Center – With hands-on learning for all ages, this family-friendly attraction includes interactive displays, a 180 multi-screen theater showing 12,000 years of the Niagara River, and just nearby, for a separate fee, stands a 26 foot rock-climbing wall that replicates the Great Gorge.
- Aquarium of Niagara- Home to more than 1,500 aquatic animals that represent ecosystems ranging from the Great Lakes to coral reefs. Enjoy performances by sea lions, shark feedings and penguin antics every day.
Niagara Falls USA restaurants offer many dining options for visitors to chose from.